Fixing insecure security definer functions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fixing insecure security definer functions
Date: 2007-02-13 23:53:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Regarding the advisory on possibly insecure security definer functions
that I just sent out (by overriding the search path you can make the
function do whatever you want with the privileges of the function
owner), the favored solution after some initial discussion in the core
team was to save the search path at creation time with each function.
This measure will arguably also increase the robustness of functions in
general, and it seems to be desirable as part of the effort to make
plan invalidation work.

Quite probably, there will be all sorts of consequences in terms of
backward compatibility and preserving the possibility of valid uses of
the old behavior and so on. So I'm inviting input on how to fix the
problem in general and how to avoid the mentioned follow-up problems in
particular.

--
Peter Eisentraut