Re: Sequoia?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Quinn Weaver <quinn(at)fairpath(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Sequoia?
Date: 2007-02-05 21:44:32
Lists: sfpug

Quinn,

> So basically it claims to slice bread, perform cold fusion, and solve
> the database replication/failover problem, with zero data loss _and_
> without making you change your app code. I'm wondering if anyone has
> tried it and can say whether it lives up to the promise.

a) It's JDBC-only.

b) Most of the management/adminstration stuff is proprietary, and comes
with the for-pay UNI/Cluster, not the for-free Sequoia

c) It's statement-based replication, which means that it's only scalable
for workloads which are 90% or more reads. For DBs with significant
numbers of writes, Sequoia will be slower than a single server.

d) The HA/Failover capabilities are pretty good.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun