Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>, Mark Walker <furface(at)omnicode(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?
Date: 2007-02-04 21:59:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:37:34AM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I know this is off-topic for this list, but is there a place I can get
> some details about linux OOM killer, and the conditions that cause this
> OS hang when you turn off the OOM killer? I'd like to really know what's
> happening, and also know more about the OS hanging condition that you're
> talking about. I'd also like to know how safe the "safe" settings really
> are ( vm.overcommmit_memory=2 and vm.oom-kill=0? ).

The most important fact about overcommit is that if off, the system
won't let you allocate more memory than swap plus a percentage of real
memory. If you use it, make sure you allocate plenty of swap, or you'll
find you get out of memory errors long before ou're actually out of
memory.

Have a nice day,