Re: some ports closed in Fedora

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: some ports closed in Fedora
Date: 2007-02-03 08:36:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Harpreet Dhaliwal <harpreet(dot)dhaliwal01(at)gmail(dot)com> schrieb:

> Hi,
> though this is not directly related to postgres, but i was wondering why are
> most of the ports seen closed
> when one does nmap scan of these ports. Whats reason can we attribute to the
> fact that most of the ports in an OS are
> in closed state.

A port is 'closed', if no process is listen on this port. You can use
'netstat -tulpen' or similar commands to list open ports and processes
which are in LISTEN state.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknow)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°