blobs

From: Steve Holdoway <steve(dot)holdoway(at)firetrust(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: blobs
Date: 2007-01-31 21:46:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm got the enviable task of redesigning an MySQL based project from scratch. We need a proper rdbms for this project, and I want to use PG 8.2.

The table I'm concerned with at the moment have (currently) 5 million rows, with a churn of about 300,000 rows a week. The table has about a million hits a day, which makes it the main potential bottleneck in this database.

We need to store some large ( 0 -> 100kB ) data with each row. Would you recommend adding it as columns in this table, given that blobs will be stored in the pg_largeobject table anyway, or would you recommend a daughter table for this?

Any other suggestions on how to avoid performance problems with this table ( hardware is dual Xeon, 4GB mem, 2 hardware raid channels for storage + 1 for logs, all running debian 32 bit ).

Cheers,

Steve

  • Re: blobs at 2007-01-31 22:25:08 from Phillip Smith
  • Re: blobs at 2007-01-31 23:45:15 from Chad Wagner