Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date: 2007-01-30 04:02:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > This seems like a good first step in growing a packaging
> > infrastructure. I'd rather grow it organically than try to design it
> > all up front.
> >

> I am in Denver and have spotty inet access so forgive me. So where does
> this above leave us? What are we doing?

I was kind of unclear on that too. It seems we are trying to address
several issues: visibility of contrib, installation of contrib, etc.
We discussed whether we put the functions in public, a schema for all
contrib, or a schema for each contrib module, and then there was the
discussion of how to configure someone using ten /contrib modules, or at
least wanting them all to be accessible.

And then there was the idea of allowing schema permissions to control
access, so perhaps we could install more of /contrib by default, and
allow the administrator to just enable/disable them via permissions.
Personally, I think that might be the best approach because it allows us
to eliminate the install process, but doesn't make the database less
secure --- the administrator enables/disables them at runtime, or at
least could.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us