Re: [PostOffice: NDN: Re: [PERFORM] how to plan for

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PostOffice: NDN: Re: [PERFORM] how to plan for
Date: 2007-01-26 14:32:16
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 02:10:43AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> day or two, because bouncing to the From: author instead of the
> envelope sender is Absolutely Not Acceptable. I forebore from

Well, not Absolutely Not. RFC2822 saith

The translation algorithm used to convert mail from the Internet
protocols to another environment's protocol SHOULD ensure that
error messages from the foreign mail environment are delivered to
the return path from the SMTP envelope, not to the sender listed
in the "From:" field (or other fields) of the RFC 822 message.

But of course, that SHOULD surely permits receiving servers to decide
to reject future mail from a system that uses the From: instead of
the return path from the envelope.

Andrew "RFC Weenie" Sullivan

The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
--George Orwell