Re: [PERFORM] how to plan for vacuum?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Galy Lee <lee(dot)galy(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] how to plan for vacuum?
Date: 2007-01-25 16:22:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 07:52:50PM +0900, Galy Lee wrote:
> It is very hard for any normal user to set this correctly. I think the
> experience / trial-and-error approach is awful for the user, every DBA
> need to be an expert of vacuum to keep the system stable. For vacuum is
> still a big threat to the performance, a more intelligent way is needed.

Agreed.

> So I have proposed the "vacuum in time" feature in previous; just let
> vacuum know how long can it runs, and then it will minimize the impact
> in the time span for you. Some argue that it should not have the
> maintenance window assumption, but the most safely way is to run in the
> maintenance window.

Most systems I work on don't have a maintenance window. For those that
do, the window is at best once a day, and that's nowhere near often
enough to be vacuuming any database I've run across. I'm not saying they
don't exist, but effort put into restricting vacuums to a maintenance
window would serve very few people. It'd be much better to put effort
into things like piggyback vacuum.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net