Re: M$ SQL server DTS package equivalent in Postgres

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: M$ SQL server DTS package equivalent in Postgres
Date: 2007-01-23 08:56:12
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:15:06AM +0900, Paul Lambert wrote:
> G'day,
>
> Is there an equivalent in Postgres to the DTS Packages available in M$
> SQL server.

Nope.

> I use these in SQL server to pre-load data from CSV files prior to
> enabling replication from my primary application. Any pointers on where
> best to go for this would be appreciated. I'm reading about something
> called EMS, is that the way to go?

This you can do using plain COPY commands from psql. You acn script this
as a SQL file. Or you can script using your faviourite scripting
language such as perl or python or whatever. What we don't do is the
advanced transformation features in DTS, but if you're just loading data
it's fully supported.

> Sample of one of the files I use:

<snip>
Looks like a plaitnext file with ^ as field delimiter. See the help for
COPY on how to load that.

//Magnus