Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum Improvements

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, Darcy Buskermolen <darcyb(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2007-01-21 20:26:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 11:39:45AM +0000, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Russell Smith wrote:
> >Strange idea that I haven't researched, Given Vacuum can't be run in a
> >transaction, it is possible at a certain point to quit the current
> >transaction and start another one. There has been much chat and now a
> >TODO item about allowing multiple vacuums to not starve small tables.
> >But if a big table has a long running vacuum the vacuum of the small
> >table won't be effective anyway will it? If vacuum of a big table was
> >done in multiple transactions you could reduce the effect of long
> >running vacuum. I'm not sure how this effects the rest of the system
> >thought.
>
> That was fixed by Hannu Krosing's patch in 8.2 that made vacuum to
> ignore other vacuums in the oldest xmin calculation.

And IIRC in 8.1 every time vacuum finishes a pass over the indexes it
will commit and start a new transaction. That's still useful even with
Hannu's patch in case you start a vacuum with maintenance_work_mem too
small; you can abort the vacuum some time later and at least some of the
work it's done will get committed.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net