Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Edson <cheighlund(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version
Date: 2007-01-17 21:27:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 01:18:06PM -0800, Jeff Frost wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Ray Stell wrote:
> >Why is there pg_dumpall instead of a pg_dump with some flag?
>
> pg_dumpall does all DBs plus the globals, but I'll have to let one of the
> developers answer why there isn't just a flag for pg_dump.

Thanks.

If I've done a pg_dumpall does some of the sql that gets included
fail in the restore because the objects already exist via the documented
initdb? That is how it works with oracle, you export, install a db, then
import, but the import throws errors because of the installe objects already
exist.