Re: SAPDB/MaxDB

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Dirk Riehle <dirk(at)riehle(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SAPDB/MaxDB
Date: 2007-01-11 03:59:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dirk Riehle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It may be a non-starter in this forum for a discussion, but I'd be
> curious to know what people think about SAP's former SAPDB, now MaxDB.
> This was SAP's first venture, I believe, into open source. What do you
> think about it? What do you think SAP should have done back then? What
> do you think SAP could or should be doing today? Could it benefit the
> PostgreSQL community in anyway?

One major problem is that the the SAPDB code was a mixture of Pascal,
Python, and C. The directories were two letters long, and the file
names were numbers. You combine all that, and it is easy to see why no
volunteers really got involved with the code.

Also, with PostgreSQL around, it is hard to get volunteers for a new
database project with similar goals.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us