Re: Added the word TODO in comments

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Added the word TODO in comments
Date: 2007-01-10 19:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:16:41 -0500
Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> wrote:
> Given that the TODO list is the official compilation of things that
> need to get done, ISTM that anything warranting a TODO or XXX in the
> code should probably be on the TODO list.

There are a wide class of possible improvements / fixes that are too small to bother adding to the TODO list, but should still be recorded somewhere. Recording those improvements in the source code seems better than not recording them at all.

Also, minor improvements to some part of the implementation are typically dependent on their context in the source code. Since TODO entries are often lacking in context as it is, I don't think trying to move everything to the TODO list would be wise.

-Neil