BCC-built psql does not work

From: L Bayuk <lbayuk(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BCC-built psql does not work
Date: 2007-01-03 01:22:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:50:18PM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Do you find the resulting psql reliable? I got it built for 8.1
> but found it very flaky and ended up doing that sort of work
> using an ssh session to the (Linux) server.

I worked some more with BCC-built psql (PostgreSQL 8.2.0). Yes,
it is very broken. One way I can get it to crash is just by
repeating "\h set" 6 times. That's right, 5 times OK, 6th crashes.

I eventually figured out how to get a stack back-trace, of sorts, but I
don't know if it is reliable. It seems to indicate the crash is in
psql_scan_finish(), calling yy_delete_buffer(), calling yy_flex_free().
But if I take that part out, it crashes somewhere else. My best guess is
that it scribbled on memory and messed up the malloc/free heap areas.
Since I don't know any good way to debug this on Windows, and I don't
really need BCC-built psql anyway, I am probably going to just drop it.
All I need is libpq, and that seems fine with BCC.