Re: TODO: GNU TLS

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO: GNU TLS
Date: 2006-12-30 20:29:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> > Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > So it's *not* an additional restriction. Not to mention the other
> > > reason- the license isn't part of the *work*.
> >
> > It is an _additional_ license you have to include, not just their
> > license. I don't see how requiring an advertizing clause is an
> > additional restriction, but requiring an additional license isn't.
>
> The GPL fully realizes that there may be other licenses out there which
> is why it was written to talk about *restrictions*:
>
> 6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
> Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
> original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
> these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further
> restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.
> You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to
> this License.

I don't see the distinction here. Where does it say having to include
another license is a different additional restriction from an
advertizing clause?

> > I don't understand the "work" issue as it applies here.

Right. I wasn't clear in saying that the idea is whether the BSD and
GPL licenses can or cannot be merged into a single work.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us