Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-29 23:25:11
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Seems to me that you could get ~80% of the way by having the simplest
> "2 queue" implementation, where tables with size < some threshold get
> thrown at the "little table" queue, and tables above that size go to
> the "big table" queue.
>
> That should keep any small tables from getting "vacuum-starved."

Hmm, would it make sense to keep 2 queues, one that goes through the
tables in smaller-to-larger order, and the other one in the reverse
direction?

I am currently writing a design on how to create "vacuum queues" but I'm
thinking that maybe it's getting too complex to handle, and a simple
idea like yours is enough (given sufficient polish).