Re: TODO: GNU TLS

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO: GNU TLS
Date: 2006-12-28 19:06:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Joshua D. Drake (jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com) wrote:
> I am not the one you need to convince :). I honestly don't care that
> much. I am just trying to help clean up the TODO list. If you want the
> GNU TLS patch accepted, you should probably start a thread about that
> problem specifically.

Given the thread subject I figured that was in scope... :)

> Currently, Tom Lane does not like how invasive the patch is. So someone
> is going to have to convince him this is a good idea or some of the
> other committers.

Yeah, I saw that, but I think Martijn answers that quite well:

> More than half the patch is simply moving the OpenSSL related stuff
> from fe/be-secure.c to fe/be-secure-openssl.c. If you create the
> -openssl versions first you can more easily see that the changes are in
> fact quite minor. Unfortunatly diff can't represent the change "copy N
> lines from file A to file B" very efficiently.

And following on to that wrt code maintenance:

> Hmm, I see your point. I guess that's an unavoidable side-effect of the
> process :(. However, judging from the CVS logs, these have not been files
> with a high change rate. I think it's worth it but I can imagine other
> people see that differently.

As for Brunce's comment here:

> Of course, we are trading a BSD license with advertizing clause with an
> LGPL license. I guess it makes sense.

I don't see that we're *trading* anything here if we support both, we're
providing users with the choice of which they'd prefer. I'd agree with
Martijn from above- the benefit is worth the (hopefully low) maintenance
cost.

Thanks,

Stephen