Re: psql display of Unicode combining characters in 8.2

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql display of Unicode combining characters in 8.2
Date: 2006-12-28 04:40:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 02:49:41PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I've applied the attached patch to fix this, but not being much of a
> user of languages that have combining characters, I can't test it very
> well. Please check out the behavior and see if you like it.

Looks good so far. I've tested languages like Vietnamese (Latin
script with lots of diacritics), polytonic Greek, and pointed Hebrew,
with text normalized to both NFC and NFD. Before the patch the NFD
text had lots of \u escapes; after the patch it looks identical to
the NFC text aside from a few minor differences in the rendered
glyphs, which tells me that I am indeed receiving the decomposed
sequences.

Thanks!

--
Michael Fuhr