Re: Related tables to a view

From: "Jan Andersen" <jma(at)agile(dot)dk>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Related tables to a view
Date: 2006-12-26 10:54:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

> You could query pg_depend to find out which tables and columns the
> view's rewrite rule depends on but that's not as specific as what
> you're requesting. I'm not aware of a way to associate a particular
> table column with a particular view column short of parsing the view
> definition or rule action; doing so would have to allow for the
> possibility of a view column deriving its value from an arbitrarily
> complex expression involving multiple tables, subqueries, etc.

Yes I'm aware of the "problem" about arbitrary or scalar values but this is
not a problem in this specific case. If a field or value do not have a table
reference then it is not needed in the resultset. I only need those values
which have a direct connection to a table.

Is the only possible way then to analyse the description field in pg_view?

I was hoping for a more simple way to get the needed result.

Regards

Jan Andersen