Re: Interface for pg_autovacuum

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Interface for pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-12-23 03:57:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 21 December 2006 10:57, Dave Page wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 09:47 -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
> >> On the other hand, this would be the only part of the system where
> >> the official interface/API is a system catalog table. Do we really
> >> want to expose the internal representation of something as our API?
> >> That doesn't seem wise to me...
> >
> > Define and agree the API (the hard bit) and I'll code it (the easy bit).
> >
> > We may as well have something on the table, even if it changes later.
> >
> > Dave: How does PgAdmin handle setting table-specific autovacuum
> > parameters? (Does it?)
>
> Yes, it adds/removes/edits rows in pg_autovacuum as required.

We do this in phppgadmin too, although I also added a screen that show alist
of entries with schema and table names (rather than vacrelid) since otherwise
it is too much pita to keep things straight. My intent is also to add
controls at the table level (where we'll know the vacrelid anyway) though it
will probably be put off until there is more demand for it.

--
Robert Treat