Re: New version of money type

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New version of money type
Date: 2006-12-21 13:39:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:21:08 -0800
David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:44:07PM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Now that 8.3 has been branched shall I go ahead and commit? As
> > discussed I will put the currency symbol back in just so that it can
> > be discussed and worked on as a completely separate issue. I have
> > attached the current patch against HEAD.
>
> I noticed that all your numbers are in English. Is it necessary to
> hard-code all that? Also, you're assuming that powers of 10 which are
> divisible by 3 are the relevant ones. In China, it's powers of 10
> divisible by 4, and in India, it's 0, 1, 2, 3, followed by odd numbers
> up through 19.

Very good points. However, like the currency symbol issue I would like
to separate that into another discussion. The code already exists with
the warts you mention (and more) and this proposal is to fix one thing
that will make it more useful to others. Let's get that change in and
then start fixing up some of those other issues.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> | Democracy is three wolves