BUG #2842: Installation procedure

From: "Kevin Macdonald" <kevin(dot)macdonald(at)pentura(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2842: Installation procedure
Date: 2006-12-19 15:17:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2842
Logged by: Kevin Macdonald
Email address: kevin(dot)macdonald(at)pentura(dot)ca
PostgreSQL version: 8.2
Operating system: Windows XP
Details:

Hello,

I downloaded postgresql-8.2.0-1.zip and extracted the three files. As per
the README.TXT file, I consulted the web page
http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org for instructions on how to get
started -- there was nothing! (Please review this web page if you don't
believe me -- it doesn't tell you how to begin an installation.)

At this point, you have possibly lost 50% of your audience who by now have
buggered back to mysql.

So, I took a guess and clicked on the largest .MSI file,
postgresql-8.2-int.msi and received this error
"Please use the main MSI file to install PostgreSQL".

What is the "main MSI file"?

Could you have said "Please use postgresql-8.2.msi" instead ?

I then clicked "OK" and received this message

"Installation ended prematurely because of an error".

This is meaningless.

You now lost another 30% of your audience to mysql.

Anyway in the end, as one of the remaining 20% who stuck with you, I clicked
on the other MSI file and all is well.

But the install process is needlessly vague and you have lost potential
clients.

I understand that your product is completely free of cost or other
obligations, but is the product that you release intended for end-users or,
instead, for a VAR who would then provide support to the end-users.

My background for the past 20 years is Oracle (from 7.3.4 to 10g), and I
have never seen such misleading and incomplete installation instructions as
what you have released.

I have successfully installed Postgresql on Linux without fail.

Perhaps some usability testing prior to your next release would help.

Thank you