SELECT with WHERE clause by column number

From: Carlos Santos <carloscompels(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Lista PostgreSQL SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SELECT with WHERE clause by column number
Date: 2006-12-18 17:17:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi!

I need to make a query like this:

SELECT id FROM myTable WHERE column-number = 'value';
(PS: The id column is the primary key of myTable).

That is a select using column number in the WHERE clause what don't exists in SQL.

I need this because there's a situation in my program where I don't have the column name.
I've solved that querying Postgresql the name of the column with that number, and then creating the SELECT query.
But this solution is slow... two database calls...

Can I do this with a single query or in a faster way through SQL, an internal function or through a Procedural Language?

Thanks

Carlos Henrique Iazzetti Santos

Compels Informática
Santa Rita do Sapucaí - MG
BRAZIL
www.compels.net

Você quer respostas para suas perguntas? Ou você sabe muito e quer compartilhar seu conhecimento? Experimente o Yahoo! Respostas !
http://br.answers.yahoo.com/