Re: pg_restore fails with a custom backup file

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Yoshiyuki Asaba <y-asaba(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_restore fails with a custom backup file
Date: 2006-12-18 14:39:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:57:50AM +0900, Hiroshi Saito wrote:

> >Win32 does not implement fseeko() and ftello(). So I think it limit to
> >handle a 2GB file. Is this a specification?
>
> Yes, Magnus-san suggested the problem. It is present TODO. The entire
> adjustment was still difficult though I had tried it. SetFilePointer might
> be able to be saved. However, I think it might be an attempt of 8.3...

I've been looking at a fix for this, and I think I have it. The solution
looks to be to redefine off_t to 64-bit (the standard headers *always*
define it as 32-bit, and there is no way to change that - at least not
that I can find).

I have the fix made for just bin/pg_dump for now (in pg_dump.h), and I'm
testing that. (So far only on MSVC builds)

A question though - is there any *gain* from using 64-bit offsets in the
actual backend? The change could of course be done in port.h, but that
will affect the whole backend (and require a few more functions than
just fseeko/ftello to be redefined) which could have larger
consequences.

So - provided that this works after my test is completed, is the better
place to do this for just pg_dump/pg_restore, or attempt to do it for
the whole backend?

//Magnus