Re: DTrace docs, Open Items and Performance

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: DTrace docs, Open Items and Performance
Date: 2006-12-01 00:30:31
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 10:05, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> I'm planning to
> >> - add a new section to Performance Tips chapter called Dynamic
> >
> > In my mind it's a little late for revising the documentation structure.
> > I'd also think that DTrace is not a tuning tool but a monitoring tool
> > which might place it closer to the description of the statistics
> > collector. I think the original plan even placed it into the Internals
> > part.
>
> I was about to say the same. In my mind DTrace is primarily a hacker's
> tool --- I do not foresee the average DBA using it. So it does not
> belong in the Performance Tips chapter. A new chapter under Internals
> is probably as good as anything.

I'm not certain how best the postgresql specific probes will be used, but I
might disagree with the above take as we're already using some kernel level
dtrace probes to make DBA oriented tools... see
http://www.lethargy.org/~jesus/archives/74-PostgreSQL-performance-through-the-eyes-of-DTrace.html
for one specific example.

--
Robert Treat