Re: FK pointing to a VIEW

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Olexandr Melnyk <omelnyk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FK pointing to a VIEW
Date: 2006-11-28 16:25:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 03:33:54PM +0200, Olexandr Melnyk wrote:
> >This would mean something like an index spreading over more then one
> >table in the end, or did I miss something ?
>
> Yes. But that is hardly implementable.

Actually, an index over multiple tables is not really the hard part.
It's setting it up so you don't cause deadlocks that's tricky. And what
people really want is *unique* indexes over multiple tables, but there
the locking considerations are even worse.

My gut feeling is that it actually won't be that bad once someone hits
on the right idea and codes it up, but I've been known to be wrong
before.

Have a nice day,