Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-27 14:17:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 07:27:32AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Have you looked at the new HA/load balancing section of the docs?
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/high-availability.html
>
> I got a lot of feedback on that. Perhaps it can be a starting point for
> you.

Yes, I have; and yes, it helps.

What I was hoping to do, though, as well, was come up with the list
of facilities that developers of these various systems say they need.
I don't expect this will happen quickly (which is why I figured it
needed a project -- if I could do in in six weeks, then we wouldn't
need a mailing list and the like). But it seemed to me that, with so
many projects on the go, getting a list together of what the
developers of those systems say they need would be the obvious way to
define, later, what hooks, if any, are needed in the core system.

If they don't do anything, we don't need their acronym.
--Josh Hamilton, on the US FEMA