Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-19 14:28:20
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 01:38:45PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> That is not true .. that is only true if we publish -all ... if we publish
> ?all, we are saying that anything coming from "a mx" are *definitely* from
> @postgresql.org, and that from other sources they *might* be ... with ?all, it
> becomes more a means of Scoring for spam filters like Spamassassin then
> anything else ...

You seem to have missed the part of the discussion where we pointed
out that that strategy provides _no benefit at all_ in SPF terms.
Anyone can still send mail with the postgresql.org domain on it,
which means that all the SPF machinery at the other end has to be
used (including all the additional load on the global DNS), for
exactly no guarantees.

Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.
--Scott Morris