Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-17 14:47:45
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:05:29AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> What actually started all of this, as an fyi, is that apparently places like
> hotmail are using SPFs (and lack of them) for filtering purposes ... so what

You should be aware that _part_ of the reason hotmail is doing SPF is
because our friends at MS are busily integrating Yet Another Way to
break the previously-working Internet in their systems. And as
usual, some bright young kids at MS went away, wrote some stuff up
as something they wanted to do, and more or less refused to listen to
people who'd seen lots of damage inflicted by previous, quick
standards efforts.

SPF is _extremely_ controversial among the RFC-writing crowd. The
surest way to hijack a meeting right now is to open an SPF (or its
cousin, DKIM -- someone famous in SMTP circles said to me in San
Diego that the best thing he could think to say about DKIM was that
it wasn't SPF) discussion.

A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
--Alexander Hamilton