all postgres users do "not exist"

From: Will Cameron <novawcameron(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: all postgres users do "not exist"
Date: 2006-11-15 19:31:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

We are using (PostgreSQL) 8.0.1 for Solaris. Apparently our
postgres users were wiped out somehow, for I cannot even log in as
superuser "postgres". Our pg_hba.conf settings are as loose as possible
("trust"). This problem started mid session after we ran a .sql script
to upgrade a DSpace digital library database within the postgres system.
This action should not have affected postgres users in any way. We did
not modify the template1 database (which affects users?) or anything of
that sort. The only other oddity of our installation I can think of is
that fact that the local data directory (/usr/local/pgsql/data) points
to another data directory at the root of the postgres unix account which
really contains the database data (/home/local/pgsql/data). Is there
any way to reinitialize while preserving the existing data directory
(dbinit??)?

Thanks,
Will Cameron

clusterdb droplang pg_config pg_resetxlog vacuumdb
createdb dropuser pg_controldata pg_restore
createlang ecpg pg_ctl postgres
createuser initdb pg_dump postmaster
dropdb ipcclean pg_dumpall psql
bash-2.05$ psql -l
psql: FATAL: user "postgres" does not exist
bash-2.05$ who am i
postgres pts/5 Nov 15 00:18 (g83-sb1-1.csc.villanova.edu)
bash-2.05$ su postgres
Password:
bash-2.05$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
bash-2.05$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
bash-2.05$ psql -l
psql: FATAL: user "postgres" does not exist

pg_hba.conf:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trust
host dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 md5

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro-*Terms