Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-11-09 08:51:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:52:32AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> the buck" evaluation. However, a couple of people have pointed out that
> we're still vague on what constitutes "bang". For example, what are our

I'm tempted to say "bang on". But I'll resist temptation.

I would like to suggest that we are converging on something like the
following principles, which can guide case-by-case answers:

* we want to build a strong user base
- that may not always entail adding every possible user

* a mix of "small/new market" and "traditional suit enterprise"
targets is desirable
- such an approach builds strength through diversity

* "industry" types of work, such as standards bodies and
techno-political organisation work, is of some degree of
importance.
- the cost of being involved (in time and travel as well as
money) should be a significant, but non-determinant,
factor here

Note that, among other properties, this outline entails that we
evaluate the third request to speak to emerging-community-meeting in
a given year _differently_ than the first such request. I think
that's a feature, not a bug, but I'm happy to hear alternative views.

Do these seem like a reasonable outline of principles on which we
could make case-by-case determinations?

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner