Re: Memory space

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Nikola Radakovic <achillea(at)hi(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory space
Date: 2006-11-08 06:21:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 11:16:46AM -0600, Nikola Radakovic wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> First of all, I am completely new on this mailing list.
> I have read tons of tutorials, but I can't find how to set up
> further thing.I know how to add database for each user, but how to
> achieve in Postgres 8.1 how big assigned database should be on server
> machine?
>
> For instance:
> I want that database cash for user1 occupies 500Mb disk space.
> database calendar for user2 occupies 100Mb
> etc...

Unlike some other databases, PostgreSQL doesn't deal with size limits.
Unless you really want to limit the size of each database there's
nothing to worry about. If you do want to limit the size, your only
option is to create a cluster for each user and let the OS quota limit
size (though many versions of PostgreSQL don't react too kindly to
running out of space).

A third option is to use one cluster, but create each database with it's
own tablespace, and only give users access to their tablespaces. It's
not quite as fool-proof as multiple clusters, but it's a lot easier on
system resources.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net