Re: Pgsql on Solaris

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: vodhner(at)cox(dot)net
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgsql on Solaris
Date: 2006-10-31 20:19:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:43:55AM -0700, vodhner(at)cox(dot)net wrote:

> How widespread is the use of PostgreSQL on Solaris? I am beginning

Well, one of the core members (Josh Berkus) actually works for Sun,
and Sun is officially supporting PostgreSQL in some capacity.
Moreover, I ran our Postgres installations on Solaris for years, and
would have continued to do so if I coulda got Sun to be nice to me as
a customer. (There's more to that story, though, most of which I
can't discuss.) I believe there are actually packaged binaries
available for Solaris, but I always built my own using gcc.

So It Worked For Me(tm) is about all I can tell you.

> I had to do a lot of web searching to learn how to get past a
> compilation problem, apparently fixed for the current release; and
> now It appears (based on the reply below) that the "configure"
> setup is not ready to recognize 64-bit solaris environment; the

I don't see how my reply says anything of the sort. All you asked
was how you did that, and I asked you what I think are reasonable
questions, like "do you have a compiler that produces 64 bit
binaries?" I certainly don't know any of that from what you've told
me so far. Posting the exact error message you're getting might lead
you to more productive responses from people using Solaris today. Or
maybe you can use the packages, and you don't need to build it.

Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.
--Scott Morris