Re: Add calculated fields from one table to other table

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: roopa perumalraja <roopabenzer(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add calculated fields from one table to other table
Date: 2006-10-26 17:59:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I have two tables. Tick table has fields like ticker, time, price & volume and Timeseries
> table has fields like ticker, time, avg_price, avg_volume.
>
> The time field in Timeseries table is different from time in tick table, its the timeseries
> for every minute. Now I want to calculate the average price & volume from tick table for each
> ticker and for every minute and add those fields to timeseries table. Can anyone please help me
> out with the sql query.
>
> Note: The ticker in the tick table also has duplicate values, so i am not able to create
> relation between two tables.

Here is my guess how it can be done:

insert into Timeseries ( tiker, time, avg_price, avg_volume ) select ...

where select .... would be

select tick,
date_trunc('minute', time) as minute,
avg(price) as avg_price,
avg(volume) as avg_volume
from ticker
where time between 'yourstartdate' and 'yourenddate'
group by tick, minute;

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.