Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-10-25 13:52:19
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 08:22:25PM +0930, Shane Ambler wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >OK, does that mean we mention EnterpriseDB in the section about Oracle
> >functions? Why not mention MS SQL if they have a better solution? I
> >just don't see where that line can clearly be drawn on what to include.
> >Do we mention Netiza, which is loosely based on PostgreSQL? It just
> >seems very arbitrary to include commercial software. If someone wants
> >to put in on a wiki, I think that would be fine because that doesn't
> >seems as official.
>
> I agree that the commercial offerings shouldn't be named directly in the
> docs, but it should be mentioned that some commercial options are
> available and a starting point to find more information.
>
> If potential new users look through the docs and it says no options
> available for what they want or consider they will need in the future
> then they go elsewhere, if they know that some options are available
> then they will look further if they want that feature.
>
> something like
> "There are currently no open source solutions available for this option
> but there are some commercial offerings. More details of some available
> solutions can be found at postgresql.org/support/...."

I think this is probably the best compromise. Keep in mind that many
people who are looking at us will also be looking at MySQL, which is
itself a commercial offering. It's good to let folks know that with
PostgreSQL, they have more control over how much money they spend for
commercial add-ons and support.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net