Re: SQL injection in a ~ or LIKE statement

From: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr>
To: hefferon9(at)adelphia(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL injection in a ~ or LIKE statement
Date: 2006-10-22 19:32:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 20 05:07, hefferon9(at)adelphia(dot)net wrote:
> I'm concerned about whether the usual parameter escaping mechanism is
> enough in a LIKE or regular expression search.
>
> I run a recent Postgres version and use the Python connector psycopg2
> for a web application. I understand that if I always escape as in
>
> dBres=dBcsr.execute('SELECT docText FROM documents WHERE
> name=%(storyName)s',{'storyName':storyName})
>
> then I am doing the right thing.

Please pay attention that [IIRC] psycopg2 uses its own escaping
mechanism. Therefore, you should better ask this question on psycopg2
ml.

> I plan to add full text searching also; is the escaping mechanism
> enough there?

If I were you, I'd ask psycopg2 developers to implement parameters that
are natively supported by PostgreSQL. With parameters, you won't mess up
with any escaping or injection related issue.

Regards.