Re: Syntax bug? Group by?

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Syntax bug? Group by?
Date: 2006-10-17 16:47:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:08:07 -0400
Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> * Mark Woodward (pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com) wrote:
> > If I am asking for a specific column value, should I, technically
> > speaking, need to group by that column?
>
> Technically speaking, if you're asking for a specific tuple, should you
> be allowed to request an aggregation?

One column value doesn't necessarily mean one tuple unless it has a
unique index on that column.

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table WHERE field = 'value';

That's perfectly reasonable. You don't need the GROUP BY clause.

However, this doesn't sound like a hackers question. Next time, please
ask on another list such as pgsql-sql or even pgsql-novice. You can
review the mailing lists and their purpose at
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> | Democracy is three wolves