Re: Create Index on Date portion of timestamp

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Create Index on Date portion of timestamp
Date: 2006-10-13 20:16:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:40:22PM -0700, Niederland wrote:
> I am using postgresql 8.1.4.
>
> Is there anyway to create an index equivalent to:
> CREATE INDEX i1 ON t1 USING btree (ts::Date);
>
> So that indexes are used for queries when the field is cast to a date.

I didn't try it, but you ought to be able to create a functional
index on the to_date() of the column. I don't know if that will
solve your cast issue, but you could rewrite the CAST into the
to_date form to get around that.

"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
--H.W. Fowler