Re: ./configure argument checking

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ./configure argument checking
Date: 2006-10-13 16:26:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 11:25:28AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> writes:
> > > I would like a pedantic mode, but the method of activation is a tricky
> > > issue. You want it to be 'on' for normal users but 'off' for automatic
> > > build scripts.
> >
> > A quiet mode would work better, because it could be on by default for
> > both cases. However, people may be too used to expecting to see chatter
> > from configure scripts --- anyone who's used a few before would probably
> > think the script was hung :-(
>
> Maybe have it emit single chars instead of lines for each check? That
> way it looks like something's going on. Not sure how difficult that is
> with autoconf.

That would be useful, though personally I'd much rather have the default
be to error-out if it gets garbage arguments. If we provided a flag that
disabled that, all porters would have to do is to add that to the myriad
of flags they're already passing in.

In the meantime, +1 to adding some whitespace around the warning... I'd
suggest two blank lines before and after.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net