Re: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

From: "Laura Hornbeck" <lhornbeck(at)oppunl(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
Date: 2006-10-12 17:55:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:43 PM
To: lhornbeck(at)oppunl(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

"Laura Hornbeck" <lhornbeck(at)oppunl(dot)com> writes:
> I am getting "FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode" when
> trying to reconnect after a crash. This has been happening for about
> an 1 hour now. Is this something I need to wait out or can I safely
> kill postgres and restart?

Hmmm ... unless you had extremely high settings for both checkpoint_segments
and checkpoint_timeout, it shouldn't take an hour to recover from a crash.
Does it appear that the startup subprocess is making progress at all? (Use
"ps" to find the postmaster's startup process child, then see if it's doing
anything using "strace" or some such.)

regards, tom lane

checkpoint_segments is 8.

strace -p26891
Process 26891 attached - interrupt to quit
futex(0xb7db2880, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL

match