Re: FW: Simple join optimized badly?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, "H(dot)J(dot) Sanders" <hjs(at)rmax(dot)nl>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Simple join optimized badly?
Date: 2006-10-12 16:37:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:44:20AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> writes:
> > If someone's going to commit to putting effort into improving the
> > planner then that's wonderful. But I can't recall any significant
> > planner improvements since min/max (which I'd argue was more of a bug
> > fix than an improvement).
>
> Hmph. Apparently I've wasted most of the last five years.

Ok, now that I've actually looked at the release notes, I take that back
and apologize. But while there's a lot of improvements that have been
made, there's still some seriously tough problems that have been talked
about for a long time and there's still no "light at the end of the
tunnel", like how to handle multi-column statistics.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net