Re: Blindly back-patching FAQs is not such a hot

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Blindly back-patching FAQs is not such a hot
Date: 2006-10-10 20:10:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> ... as an example, I see you removed material from 8.1's FAQ_HPUX that
> is still relevant to that branch.

Are we trimming platform-specific FAQs as we move forward? I figured an
FAQ just got more accurate. And I only backpatch to the most recent
branch.

Are you talking about this?

- The parallel regression test script (gmake check) is known to lock up
- on PA-RISC when run under HP's Bourne shells: /usr/bin/sh and
- /sbin/sh. To fix this problem, you will need PHCO_30269 with its
- dependent patch or successor patches:
-
- PHCO_30269 s700_800 cumulative sh-posix(1) patch
- PHCO_29816 s700_800 rc(1M) scripts cumulative patch
-
- To work around this problem, use ksh to run the regression script:
-
- gmake SHELL=/bin/ksh check
-
- If you see that the tests have stopped making progress and only a shell
- process is consuming CPU, kill the shell process and start over with the
- above command.

This was removed in CVS HEAD, but it imagine it applies to 8.1.X because
the regression test is still a shell script in 8.1.X. I will re-add it,
but in general it seems like we win more than lose by copying the FAQ's
backward, partly because I don't usually apply them to the back
branches.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us