Re: exploiting features of pg to obtain polymorphism

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: exploiting features of pg to obtain polymorphism
Date: 2006-10-08 13:34:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:09:53 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 11:09:29PM +0200, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
> wrote:
>
> > Is there any good documentation, example, tutorial, pamphlet,
> > discussion... to exploit pg features to obtain "polymorphic"
> > behavior without renouncing to referential integrity?
>
> In GNUmed we use it to aggregate text fields over a
> range of child tables and for auditing:

Really interesting, nice sql to see, including the use of "metadata" and functions. It looks more like what I was looking for.
I'm reading the developers doc to get a clearer picture.

Are there other places from where I could learn those/similar techniques? (or any other place I could learn those techniques without having to "reverse engineer" gnumed).

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it