pg_ctl -D?

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_ctl -D?
Date: 2006-10-04 14:38:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

pg_ctl seems to want to be told where "data" is:

pg_ctl stop [-W] [-s] [-D datadir]

I've been scattering data across spindles and mount points. The
doc speaks to this in the singular:

-D datadir

Specifies the file system location of the database files.
If this is omitted, the environment variable PGDATA is used.

Do I need to tell pg_ctl where all the data is or does it figure it out
internally?