Re: slow queue-like empty table

From: Tobias Brox <tobias(at)nordicbet(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: Tobias Brox <tobias(at)nordicbet(dot)com>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: slow queue-like empty table
Date: 2006-10-04 10:59:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

[Csaba Nagy - Thu at 10:45:35AM +0200]
> So you should check for "idle in transaction" sessions, those are bad...
> or any other long running transaction.

Thank you (and others) for pointing this out, you certainly set us on
the right track. We did have some few unclosed transactions;
transactions not beeing ended by "rollback" or "commit". We've been
fixing this, beating up the programmers responsible and continued
monitoring.

I don't think it's only due to those queue-like tables, we've really
seen a significant improvement on the graphs showing load and cpu usage
on the database server after we killed all the "idle in transaction". I
can safely relax still some weeks before I need to do more optimization
work :-)

(oh, btw, we didn't really beat up the programmers ... too big
geographical distances ;-)