Re: dollar quoting

From: Jure Koren <jure(at)hehe(dot)si>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dollar quoting
Date: 2006-10-03 20:36:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 21:54, Tom Lane wrote:
> No ... a locale-dependent character class test is exactly the wrong
> thing. See the other discussion.

But it isn't locale dependent. All unicode letter class character match,
regardless of locale (which is what the postgres docs say as well).

Yes, probably not the best thing to do, but my reasoning was that dollar
quoting is going to be used by humans writing functions. Using dollar
escaping in non-ddl stuff is, i think, extremely unlikely, as normal escaping
functions will normally take care of those cases.

Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at> wrote:
> - Having said that, I don't believe in compiling a regular expression for
> each dollar-quoted string and each $ character that is not part of a dollar
> quote

Yes, and I've noticed there's a missing test for leading whitespace, which
would make this fail very fast if it in fact wasn't a dollar quote. I'm
incapable of producing any more code today, but I'll be certainly improving
it later this week.

I'm not actually familiar with Java, so verbose criticism is most welcome,
off-list too. And i'm subscribed to the list, so you don't have to make
copies :)

Thank you for all the feedback and good night.

--
Jure Koren, unix developer
Hehe d.o.o.