Re: New version of money type

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: New version of money type
Date: 2006-09-28 19:42:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:57:10AM -0700, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Got it - so the performance benefits of the fixed point versus Numeric are:
>
> - Smaller size of fixed point (less than half)
> - Faster arithmetic operations
>
> These should be quantified, so that we can evaluate Money64 as a proposal
> and to understand Numeric better.

However, none of this seems to deal with the major problems with the
money type right now:

- Only supports one currency (dollars)
- Only supports one scale (yen has no decimal normally, but what if you
want to track hundredths of a dollar-cent?)

My question, what is this Money64 type buying you over just storing an
integer in your database? There should be some value-add somewhere, but
what is it?

I've written applications tracking money using just an integer, if
there were a special money type, I'd expect it to do something more.

Have a ncie day,