Re: autovacuum on a -mostly- r/o table

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: Edoardo Ceccarelli <eddy(at)axa(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum on a -mostly- r/o table
Date: 2006-09-27 20:27:56
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

> Rod Taylor wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 18:08 +0200, Edoardo Ceccarelli wrote:
> >
> >> I have read that autovacuum cannot check to see pg load before
> >> launching
> >> vacuum but is there any patch about it? that would sort out the
> >> problem
> >> in a good and simple way.
> >>

> > In some cases the solution to high load is to vacuum the tables being
> > hit the heaviest -- meaning that simply checking machine load isn't
> > enough to make that decision.
> >
> > In fact, that high load problem is exactly why autovacuum was created in
> > the first place.
> >
> True,
> but autovacuum could check load -before- and -during- it's execution and
> it could adjust himself automatically to perform more or less
> aggressively depending on the difference between those two values.
> Maybe with a parameter like: maximum-autovacuum-load=0.2
> that would mean: "never load the machine more than 20% for the autovacuum"

This is pretty non-trivial. How do you define 20% load? 20% of the
CPU? Does that mean that it's OK for autovac to use 3% cpu and 100% of
your IO? Ok, so we need to calculate an average of IO and CPU -- which
disks? If your WAL logs are on one disk, and you've used tablespaces
to spread the rest of your DB across different partitions, it can
be pretty difficult to determine which IO parameters you want to take
into consideration.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.