in failed sql transaction

From: Ralf Wiebicke <ralf(dot)wiebicke(at)exedio(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: in failed sql transaction
Date: 2006-09-24 10:03:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all!

I just realized the following behaviour in postgresql: when I violate any
constraint (unique constraint in my case) then the transaction is not usable
anymore. Any other sql command returns a "in failed sql transaction" error.
All other databases I used up to now just ignore the statement violating the
constraint, but leave the transaction intact.

Is this intended behaviour or rather a bug? Or is there any way to "switch on"
the behaviour I'd like to see?

Best regards,
Ralf.

--