Re: How to autoincrement a primary key...

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Doug Hyde <doug(dot)hyde(at)e-cocreate(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to autoincrement a primary key...
Date: 2006-09-22 19:25:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I am sure this is simple, but I don't get it. I am new to PGSQL, coming from
> MySQL - in mysql, you can autoincrement the primary key; in postgre, I am
> not sure how to do this. I have read the documentation, and tried "nextval"
> as the default - I have searched for the datatype SERIAL, but I am using
> navicat and this datatype is not supported. Can someone tell me how to do
> this - I just want the integer value for a primary key to autoincrement by
> one.

CREATE TABLE bar (id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY);

Is just shorthand notation for:

CREATE SEQUENCE foo START 1;
CREATE TABLE bar (id integer PRIMARY KEY DEFAULT nextval('bar'));

Also see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-createtable.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-createsequence.html

Regards,